Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Top 10 Albums of 2008: 6. TIMES NEW VIKING - Rip It Off


Every time I’ve put my iPod on shuffle in the past few months, I’ve done so with an acute sense of fear that a track from Rip It Off will follow up a quiet acoustic interlude, thus shredding my ear-lobes and increasing still further my chances of being a very deaf old man. On their third studio album, the Ohian trio cover their exuberant, lo-fi punk with a blanket of treble-shredding feedback and fuzz: the result is a thrilling, adrenalised rush, characterised by scuzzy riffs and deranged hooks. Some claimed that their extreme noise aesthetic was nothing more than a calculated gimmick, but they missed the point on two counts: firstly, underneath all the frenzied squall and distortion are 24-carat tunes like ‘My Head’, ‘Faces on Fire’ and ‘The Early ‘80s’. Secondly, if a deafening wave of noise is the alternative to the horrifically compressed production that blights all too many albums these days, then that’ll do very nicely indeed, thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment